Travelling to Melbourne? Before you book your flights, accommodation and transfers, check out these Melbourne airport reviews. You could potentially save time and money!
Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, you want to make the most of your trip. It might be tempting to fly with a company that offers a cheaper fare but it may be more expensive in the long run. In these reviews there are some key points to consider when deciding on your airport of choice, Melbourne airport transfer options and accommodation.
Melbourne airports and their facilities
Melbourne has four airports. Melbourne Airport (Tullamarine) and Avalon Airport are the primary options, servicing the needs and requirements of holiday makers and business people. Moorabbin Airport caters to domestic flights only and Essendon Airport (now privately owned) is home to the Victorian Air Ambulance, the Victoria Police Air Wing and the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
Melbourne Airport – Tullamarine
Melbourne Airport is the main airport servicing the city and has the most to offer passengers in terms of facilities, location and comfort. Found via Departure Drive, Tullamarine, Melbourne Airport is only 23 minutes from the CBD, 25 minutes from the National Gallery of Victoria and a mere 10 minutes from DFO Essendon.
• Food, drinks, shopping and free WIFI.
• VIP Lounges, such as the Virgin Australia Lounge, The Qantas Club and The Rex Lounge for domestic passengers. For international passengers, there are additional options.
• Parking available from $7 per day.
There are four hotels in close proximity to Melbourne Airport and many other accommodation options in the surrounding area.
• Quest Melbourne Airport: Brand new serviced apartments within minutes from the airport terminals and Tullamarine business precinct.
• Holiday Inn Melbourne Airport: Ideal for stopovers prior to early morning flights or late night arrivals. This hotel offers stylish amenities and a relaxed atmosphere, only 400 metres from both domestic and international terminals.
• Park Royal Melbourne Airport: Just metres from the domestic and international terminals via the sky bridge walkways, this hotel is the perfect place to meet, rest or refresh.
• Ibis Budget Melbourne Airport: Close to food and conveniences, this hotel is perfect for a quick overnight stop. Only a five-minute walk from the terminals you will save money and be in a convenient location.
There are several transfer options available at Melbourne Airport, with something to suit every budget. Choose from taxis, the sky bus, rental cars and public transport.
If you prefer premium airport transfers and like to travel in style, you can opt to have a qualified chauffeur waiting for you the moment your plane lands on the tarmac.
Avalon Airport is the second busiest airport in Melbourne and the main airport for Jetstar flights out of the city. It is often used by business people with last minute bookings, or who are unable secure a flight at their desired time through Melbourne Airport (Tullamarine). Located in Beach Rd, Lara, Avalon Airport is 23 minutes from Geelong, a 40 minute drive from the Melbourne CBD, 40 minutes from the National Gallery of Victoria and 40 minutes from DFO Essendon.
• Food and beverages, Internet kiosks and a kids’ zone
• Unlike the Melbourne Airport, the Avalon doesn’t provide VIP Lounges for specific airlines. Instead they offer the Avalon VIP Club.
• Parking available from $40 per day.
There are several hotels available within a 20km radius of the Avalon Airport.
• Quest Geelong: Serviced apartments located 20 minutes from the Avalon Airport. Providing comfortable and clean rooms for business people or holiday makers. Perfect for work or play.
• Novotel Geelong: Located 1km from the Geelong city centre and 20 minutes from the airport. All rooms exude peace and harmony and offer all the facilities you could want for business or pleasure.
• Aberdeen Motor Inn: This budget hotel offers all the creature comforts of home and would be ideal if you had a quick stopover. Located 20 minutes from the airport and close to conveniences.
• Mercure Hotel Geelong: This recently renovated hotel offers large, comfortable and contemporary rooms at reasonable prices. Located 25 minutes from the Avalon Airport and only a short distance from family friendly activities, the beach and Geelong Waterfront Carousel.
Transfer options from Avalon Airport include car hire, local bus or a taxi service.
Set up for general aviation and home to premier flying training schools, the Moorabbin Airport host’s domestic flights only. Located in Moorabbin, this airport is a 50-minute drive from the Melbourne CBD.
This is very basic airport with a focus on flight training. Public toilets are available but food and beverage options are minimal. There are no VIP Lounges.
Free open-air parking is available, or call Melbourne Car Kennel on 03 9580 6630 to price secure parking.
There are several accommodation options in close proximity to the Moorabbin Airport.
• Quest Cheltenham Serviced Apartments Melbourne: Located in the South Eastern suburbs, this contemporary hotel offers many benefits. Location puts you central to great attractions in the area, guests receive free parking. These apartments are 35 minutes from Melbourne CBD and only 9 minutes from the airport.
• Best Western Plus Buckingham International: Rooms are modern and offer guests a relaxing and comfortable stay. Great if you are boarding an early flight and need somewhere to stay that still offers conveniences.
Public transport drop off is available every day (excluding public holidays) and taxis service this airport. A taxi fare will cost approx. $40 to the Melbourne CBD.
While it may seem like you are getting the deal of the century when purchasing flights, keep this information in mind. Yes your flight may be cheaper, but will you waste time and money on difficult transfer arrangements? Ideally you will want your hotel location close to attractions and amenities, without spending a fortune to transfer from the airport.
Travelling for business or pleasure should be enjoyable. Consider these Melbourne airport reviews before making your final decisions, as you could use the extra money you save on enjoying a little luxury as part of your trip.